Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pushups & Cat Food

I just got back from the gym! Yesterday & today were the first days that my legs really felt usable after Thursdays ass-kicking workout. I was limping around like an old lady for most of the weekend, and the pain was almost unbearable when I'd try to go up or down stairs. Overall, I did not feel good.



Anyway, I developed a pretty nasty cold on Sunday/Monday which pretty much came to a head today. Getting out of bed was nearly impossible this morning. I juiced it up old school today (1.5L green smoothie, 2L celery juice) but caved and ended up eating rice/yucca/bacalao from the hispanic place next door. Ugh. I didn't feel that crappy afterwards, but I was a bit worried that it would interfere with my speedy recovery.



I came home right away after school today (after thoroughly clearing my desk in case I decide to take tomorrow off...tehe), sat & rested, caught up with some emails, etc etc, and eventually felt well enough to go to the gym. I did the Week 1, Day 1 of http://hundredpushups.com/ and found it to be a bit challenging. I did a series of 6, 6, 4, 4, 5+ pushups. What made it so difficult is that as my arms get stronger, my form gets better and the number of pushups that I can do with super-correct form decreases. Obviously this will increase over time, but for right now I am really feeling the burn. I also ran for 30 minutes on an 2309283 incline, and feel so much better now (breathing/hackey wise) than I did before I went running.



I've decided I'm going to switch my cats to an all raw diet (consisting of raw meat/bones, some fish, pureed veggies, freshly grown wheatgrass, eggs, oils, and supplements). After months of watching Luscious get even more...luscious, I've decided my planning needs to morph into some serious action. I weighed the cats today (first by trying to coax them onto the scale, then by realizing I could just pick them up and stand on the scale...DUH). Luscious is 17 pounds! Her brother Fred is 12 pounds, and a solid, solid muscular cat. This makes me feel like Luscious should probably fall within the 10-12lb range. If she were a human, she would probably be considered morbidly obese. :( Jack and Dante are both 10 pounds each, and while weight-wise I'm only concerned with Luscious, the others would definitely benifit from raw food as well.

I've been reading up on raw food for cats for a while and am absolutely horrified by the things that go into conventional cat food. Kibble contains melamine, preservatives, animal "by-products," and grain/carbohydrate fillers that cause digestive problems. The fats in conventional dry kibble typically go rancid before the food is even consumed. On study showed that 9 out of 10 bags of dry kibble have some type of bug living in them. Gaaaah. Its disgusting!

So now I need to find a meat grinder. And take some before & after pictures of the kitties!

No comments: